Devastated parents claim baby died in disastrous ‘horror movie’ delivery

A heartbroken couple lost their newborn after a traumatic forceps delivery which they said was “like something out of a horror movie.”

Winter Vernon was born at Ormskirk Hospital on May 10 before being transferred to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital where she tragically died the next day from apparent head injuries.

Parents Marisa and Michael Vernon believe the use of forceps while delivering their baby went wrong and say they are considering legal action.

Marisa, 27, told ECHO Liverpool: “Our lives have been completely shattered.

“We not only have to face the devastating loss of our baby, but we are also forced to fight for the truth and an explanation of what happened to take her away from us.”

Civil engineer Michael, 35, added: “As soon as the baby came out, I could see the injuries. The top of his head was completely collapsed.

“You could literally see the shape of the forceps embedded in his skull and you could see a big cut four or five inches just above his eye.

“I have this memory in mind for the rest of my life, I’ll never, ever forget it. It’s like a horror movie to me.

The Netherton couple also said they were contacted by someone claiming to be a staff member at Ormskirk hospital in the days following Winter’s death – raising concerns about how the delivery was handled.

Beautician Marisa, from Formby, said she went to hospital for induction on May 8, after she was six days past her due date.

On May 10, she was still not fully dilated and was told she would have to deliver by emergency cesarean, a procedure where the baby is surgically removed.

She received two epidurals, meaning she couldn’t feel anything from the waist down to her feet, and was brought into the operating room to start the procedure.

However, when she arrived at the theater, she was told that she was now fully dilated and could give birth naturally.

According to Marisa and Michael, who were also present, it soon became clear that something was wrong.

She said, “He was using the forceps with excessive force, pulling me down from the bed. Every time he pulled, the midwives had to pull the bed up for me.

“I had a midwife next to me who was monitoring my contractions because I couldn’t feel them and she would let the doctor know when I was and when to shoot.

“The doctor was pulling when I wasn’t even contracting. The midwife yelled at him “she’s not twitching”, but he still continued to pull me down from the bed.

“The doctor had to cut me to get my baby Winter out. “

Marisa and Michael both describe a palpable “tension in the room” during childbirth and both describe Winter as looking “beaten and bruised” and “lifeless” when she finally gave birth.

She was taken for emergency treatment, which Marisa and Michael later said included CPR.

Winter was transferred to Alder Hey the next day and despite her condition initially appearing to improve slightly, she passed away on May 11.

Marisa and Michael say Alder Hey’s doctors told them that Winter appeared to have serious fractured skulls.

An inquest has since been opened by Julie Goulding, chief coroner for Sefton, St Helens and Knowsley, and the medical cause of death has been identified.

Winter’s death has also been reported to the Health Care Safety Investigations Directorate (HSIB) and the Care Quality Commission (CQC).

Dr Kate Clark, Medical Director of Southport and Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust, said: “I want to send our deepest condolences to Winter’s parents at this very difficult and painful time.

“We are concluding a thorough investigation to understand all the circumstances of his death. However, it would be inappropriate to comment further until this and the coroner’s inquest is completed. “

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *